[luatex] luaotfload problems (MiKTeX/Windows 7)

Evan Cooch evan.cooch at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 21:18:10 CEST 2013

Exactly. When the code was moved from expand_path to expand_var, we kept
the check for the empty string, but expand_var returns the input if it
cannot expand the variables. It’s simply a bug that doesn’t occur on
systems (e.g. TL 2013) where both are defined.
>>                              But this variable is not defined under
>> MiKTeX, and upon seeing that it's not defined, luaotfload is
>> supposed to put the database in a folder with the path given by the
>> value of the variable $TEXMFVAR (the default value in MiKTeX on Win
>> 7 is C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\MiKTeX\2.9 and you can test the
>> value on your system by typing kpsewhich --expand-var=$TEXMFVAR in
>> the Command Prompt, or by looking in the Roots panel of the MiKTeX
>> settings application). The bug we've been discussing keeps
>> luaotfload from doing that, which is why your database ends up where
>> it does (and the problem doesn't apply to TeX Live, because the
>> $TEXMFCACHE variable is defined in that setup).
> Fwiw version 2.3 went up to CTAN yesterday. You can get the zip at:
>
>      https://github.com/lualatex/luaotfload/releases
>
> (choose the tds one). This version introduces incompatible
> changes so remember to delete the cache directories after
> updating.
>
> Best,
> Philipp

Well, I haven't done exhaustive testing, but so far, looks like the beta
code (2.3) is working as it should.

Thanks!!!