[luatex] WIKI seems to be hacked

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Fri Dec 6 11:14:25 CET 2013

"Taco Hoekwater" <taco at elvenkind.com>:
> On 12/05/2013 08:06 PM, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > when I opened, for my curiosity, this page:
> > http://wiki.luatex.org/index.php/Special:RecentChanges
> >
> > there were lot of suspicious user accounts created every day.
>
> Yeah, but these are in fact quite harmless. The wiki now has >1000
> users, but only a dozen or so real ones. I am tempted to just
> delete all users that have zero contributions directly in the
> database, that should weed out things nicely.

That would be a good idea. I thought about blocking them all by hand, but
it'll be a pain.

> The actual pages in the wiki look fine, except that nearly all
> are outdated: I doubt that any of the example code blocks still
> work without having to edit the lua code. :(

What??? I've just edited the "Documentation and help" page! The wiki is
totally up to date :)

More seriously, I don't think that many Lua snippets are outdated. Except
those using module(), setenv(), table.unpack(), args... Well, maybe that's
quite a lot :)

> So, alternatively, we could simply remove the current wiki
> completely,
> and start a completely fresh one with a new mediawiki install
> and some sort of captcha subsystem.

Is it frequented much anyway? Are people often sent to it? Obviously there
aren't that many contributions either. The last article was written one year
ago. In other words: is it really alive? I liked the idea when Taco created
it, but I'm not so sure now (well, I still like the idea, but I'm trying to be
realistic).

Best,
Paul