[luatex] updates to various lua* packages breaks..something.

Philipp Gesang Philipp.Gesang at alumni.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Apr 26 22:05:31 CEST 2013

···<date: 2013-04-26, Friday>···<from: Élie Roux>···

> Hello Khaled,
>
> >I think the point of file: was to use kpse to locate the files bypassing
> >the name database entirely, it might not be clear from the documentation
> >but it has always been the intent. Fonts outside TEXMF tree have to be
> >given as full paths, just like any kpse lookup.
>
> Sounds consistant... Philipp Gesang is working on the topic (see https://github.com/phi-gamma/luaotfload/issues/4#issuecomment-17041960).
> It makes documents less portable though... We have to find the right
> balance between easiness and a correct syntax, close to XeTeX...
> maybe I'm balancing too much on the easiness side? I have to say
> I've always been quite allergic to the new (XeTeX/fontspec) way
> fonts are called so I'm maybe not the best designer for it!
>
> Philipp, what do you think?

I think the lookup problem is essentially unrelated to the font
request parser, but if the latter is more modular then we can
distinguish between the two luatex modes (file:, name:) and xetex
compatibility (brackets, unspecified). (Also less expletives.)

In the dev version which still has the old parser, file lookups
use database as well so the problem is avoided (I hope).

Regards
Philipp