[luatex] undesired empty page

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Thu Sep 13 22:14:47 CEST 2012

(not tried your code)

> \directlua{dofile("test.lua")}
> \directlua{tex.print(text)}
> \bye
>
> test.lua
> text = [[Hello!
>
> ]]
>
> Then the TeX-Output has two Omegas after Hello!, which come from the two
> newline characters in the string.  They go away if I define
> text = [[Hello!]]
>
> Is this a bug or a feature?

It's a feature. When you give TeX a newline character (hex 0A), it takes the character x0a from the current font and puts that into PDF. In cmr10 with default encoding, this is a capital omega. When you switch to a font that doesn't have anything at that position, noting will be put into the PDF.

When you use T1 font encoding, you get two dotaccents.

When you use EU2 font encoding, you get nothing (as expected, EU2 is just a unicode "non" mapping):

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{luaotfload}
\usepackage{luacode}
\usepackage{lmodern}