[luatex] undesired empty page

Ralf Meyer rameyer at uni-math.gwdg.de
Thu Sep 13 21:47:31 CEST 2012

I am confused by what happens when I hand a string from Lua to TeX that
contains newline characters.  The minimal example looks like this:

\directlua{dofile("test.lua")}
\directlua{tex.print(text)}
\bye

test.lua
text = [[Hello!

]]

Then the TeX-Output has two Omegas after Hello!, which come from the two
newline characters in the string.  They go away if I define
text = [[Hello!]]

Is this a bug or a feature?  I find it annoying.

The Omegas go away if I use LaTeX and load the fontspec package.  But
actually they seem to be still there, only replaced by some invisible
character.  My original problem was that letters created in a way as
above using string formatting on the Lua side got an empty second page
from the newline characters.

Ralf Meyer