[luatex] A problem in LuaLaTeX

Dirk Laurie dirk.laurie at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 16:48:44 CET 2012

2012/11/18 LeeTim <iamtimlee at outlook.com>:

>     I am using LuaLaTeX under Windows 7, the version is
>                       beta-0.70.2-2012080612 (TeX Live 2012/W32TeX)
> the source file and the results compiled by xelatex and lualatex is in the
> attachments.
> I think this is a bug in LuaTeX.

I'm using TeXLive on Linux.  I've got the Lucida fonts on my
XP partition.  I convert them to be used with TeX by the following
script:
FONTDIR=~/.texmf-var/fonts/truetype
# Assume Lucida ttf files already in fontdir
texhash
for i in \
    "BrightDemiBold.ttf lbd" \
    "BrightDemiItalic.ttf lbdi" \
    "BrightItalic.ttf lbi" \
    "BrightRegular.ttf lbr" \
    "SansDemiBold.ttf lsd" \
    "SansRegular.ttf lsr" \
    "TypewriterBold.ttf lbtb" \
    "TypewriterRegular.ttf lbtr" \
    ; do otftotfm -ae T1-WGL4.enc $FONTDIR/Lucida$i ; done

There are many, many messages like

I had to round some heights by 15.1366997 units.
I had to round some depths by 0.9766006 units.
I had to round some italic corrections by 0.7323999 units.

So obviously there are precision issues.

I then try test.tex. It says I don't have Lucida Grande, which is true.
Wikipedia says Lucida Sans is almost exactly the same. I change
text.tex to use Lucida Sans instead. The PDF file looks perfect.

So I think there is a problem with your font files, not with luatex.