[luatex] Attempt to build font name database fails with app crash

Dieter Köhler dieter.koehler at philo.de
Sun May 6 19:16:59 CEST 2012

Thank you, Ulrike for you explanation!!!

After discovering the problematic font, it took  me still some time to
figure out, how to add it to the black list.  So just for the archives,
here is what I needed to figure out:

After running "mkluatexfontdb -v" as adviced I found out at which font
mkluatexfontdb crashed.  So I needed to blacklist the font in question.
For this purpose the luaotfload manual advised me to create a
otfl-blacklist.cnf file and put it somewhere where "kpse" (whatever this
is?) can find it.  I first thought: Pehaps I should put the file in the
same directory as mkluatexfontdb.exe.  But then I found out that there
is already an otfl-blacklist.cnf file in my MiKTeX Windows installation
in the "tex/luatex/luaotfload" subdirectory. It had already some
blacklisted fonts in it.  So I appended the fontname including the file
extension to it.  However, mkluatexfontdb still tried to process the
font in question.  After some laborious experiemnts I discovered the
reason of it: The fontnames in the blacklist need to be normalized to
lower-case.  And I also discovered that, if I use complete paths, the
back-slashes needs to be normalized to forward-slashes. After adding the
fontname (including its file extension) in lower-case to
otfl-blacklist.cnf, building the fontname database finally worked!

Dieter Köhler