[luatex] Math \fontdimen's.

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Sun Jun 24 09:29:42 CEST 2012

Hello all,

I'm playing around with math, in which I'm mostly incompetent. However I
notice that modifying the \fontdimen parameters has no effect. Try this
in PDFTeX and LuaTeX:

    \fontdimen14\tensy=1em
    $2^2$
    \bye

In PDFTeX, the superscript is raised, but not in LuaTeX. I know the
same effect can be achieved with the \Umath... parameters (here
\Umathsupshiftup), but my question is: is it normal that \fontdimen
parameters aren't obeyed anymore? (I suppose it is; somebody would have
already complained otherwise; nonetheless I find it strange, because it
means those dimensions do not depend on the fonts anymore.)

Best,
Paul