[luatex] glue_order `sfi'

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Sun Jun 3 17:42:36 CEST 2012

Hello Andreas,

> I'm wondering about glue_order `sfi'. Why was it introduced?

I assume it is the same as "fi" without "s"? It comes from omega

> Could someone give me some information about this glue_order?

"5.1 New infinity level

A new infinity level fi has been added. It is smaller than fil but bigger than any finite quantity. Its original intention was for inter-letter stretching: either filling-in-the-black, as is done for calligraphic scripts such as Arabic; or for emphasis, as in Russian; all this without having to rewrite existing macro packages. There is therefore a new keyword, fi, and two new primitives, \hfi and \vfi."

Can't find the manual on the internet at the moment.

Patrick