[luatex] CMYK colors and transparency

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Jan 22 03:08:51 CET 2012

On 2012-01-22 at 01:16:30 +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

 > On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 01:02, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 > >
 > > Curiously enough, xpdf and gv display everything correctly.  Thus, I
 > > assume that the problem is caused by an Acrobug.
 > >
 > > Maybe some PDF expert can answer the following questions:
 > >
 > >  * Does the way TikZ applies its color space comply 100% with the PDF
 > >   specification?
 > >
 > >  * Is there a way to restrict the color space applied by TikZ to act
 > >   on the TikZ graphic only, instead of the whole page?
 > >
 > >  * Can this problem be reproduced with ConTeXt?  Does ConTeXt
 > >   implement transparency in a more robust way?
 >
 > See http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2005/012867.html
 >
 > >  * If it's not possible to make the PDF file created by TeX more
 > >   robust, how can I contact Adobe in order to file a bug report?
 >
 > Be happy that Acrobat doesn't crash ;) Snow Leopard kept crashing on
 > my files, even if I only wanted to attach them in my emails.

Oh, I already created a valid PDF file which caused AR to crash.

Even worse, I loaded the core file into gdb and saw that the crash
invoked a signal handler which started an endless recursion.

Fortunately kill -9 always helps.

 > It's not the same company, but I submitted a bug report about
 > rendering of smooth shading to Apple around 2007. Last month they
 > replied me for the first time, saying that I should upgrade to
 > 10.7.<latest> which probably fixes the bug. Of course it doesn't
 > (except that Lion now doesn't crash, but it still renders patterns
 > in the wrong way).

If you're talking about lions and leopards, I must admit that I'm not
familiar with all these wild animals.  But as far as Adobe is
concerned, it's nice to know that they employed Leonard Rosenthol.
I had been in contact with him many years ago when he was maintaining
the PDF backend of ImageMagick.  IMO it's great to have a contact
person at Adobe who grew up in the world of free software and is
aware of TeX.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25