[luatex] Unicode Math (was: This might have been asked: UTF-8 input from plain TeX

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 23:39:47 CET 2012

Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Op 23 februari 2012 15:39 heeft Ulrike Fischer <luatex at nililand.de>
> het volgende geschreven:
> > [For some reason my answer didn't appear on the list. So I'm
> > reposting, sorry if the first message finally shows up.]
> >
> > Am Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:40:44 +0100 schrieb Ingo Krabbe:
> >
> >> Do you have some hints and to-be-reads to get started with unicode math
> >> and plain TeX?
>
> By unicode math, I hope you don't mean the glyphs in u2190 to u22ff.
> Donald Knuth did not invent TeX so that we should go back to character-based
> math typesetting.

eh?  i always type characters when i'm writing maths for processing with
tex.  what unicode does for us in this context is provide a huge range
of character codes for things that were (perforce) in different 7-bit
fonts when tex first appeared.

remember that the membership of the iso committees that defined the
character set included one barbara beeton, as fine a tex conservative as
any i know.

robin