[luatex] different text direction

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Feb 16 00:04:11 CET 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 08:13:05AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Do, 26 Jan 2012, Herbert Voss wrote:
> > Why do I get the extra vertical space before bar?
> > my output with current live http://perce.de/temp/cjk.png
>
> Different question, why is the spacing sooo bad? I am suprised.

Most likely because vertical metrics were not used; OpenType fonts have
different tables for horizontal and vertical metrics that the engine
should use according to text direction, but I doubt luatex (or whatever
layer is responsible for this) is doing anything special when
typesetting in vertical direction.

Someone needs to investigate OpenType vertical text layout model and
check what is missing at luatex side.

Regards,
 Khaled