[luatex] libertineotf: reduce startup time?

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Thu Apr 5 15:18:28 CEST 2012

Am Thu, 5 Apr 2012 15:05:06 +0200 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

> On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 02:46:26PM +0200, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>>> I'm creating a small document with
>>>
>>> \documentclass[a4paper]{article}
>>> \usepackage{luatextra}
>>> \defaultfontfeatures{Ligatures=TeX}
>>> \usepackage{unicode-math}
>>> \setmathfont{Latin Modern Math}
>>> \usepackage{libertineotf}
>>>
>>> The startup-time of libertineotf is quite noticeable;
>>> the machine "stops" for some seconds to load all the
>>> cached font info (and this on a quite fast machine).
>>>
>>> Is there a way to reduce the startup time of using
>>> libertine?
>>
>> I am aware of the problem and there is no way I know to reduce the
>> load time. I've opened a ticket...

> Another option is to bypass fontspec completely and provide
> .fd files (like LM ones in euenc package, for example), which might help
> a bit.

This would certainly help. The fontspec would not have to generate
all the fd-informations on-the-fly, but it is not compatible with
the \addfontfeatures command:

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\setsansfont{Arial}

\begin{document}

\addfontfeatures{Color=990000}
1234 abc

\sffamily \addfontfeatures{Color=990000} 1234 abc
\end{document}

--
Ulrike Fischer