[luatex] [tex-live] Ignored italic correction with lua(la)tex format

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Oct 13 17:32:53 CEST 2011

On 10/13/2011 04:35 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> The perl script says "# \catcode = 11 for everything with GC=L*"
>
> and the unicode-data entry for e.g. the mathematical P is:
>
> 1D443;MATHEMATICAL ITALIC CAPITAL P;Lu;0;L;<font>  0050;;;;N;;;;;
>
> So I would say it has catcode 11 because unicode says it is a
> letter.

IMHO, The Unicode specification is being silly, but nothing can be done
about that, I am quite sure.

In any case: probably luatex should not be using \catcode's to make
decisions. Luckily, following the Unicode logic, it would be allowed to
use \lccode <> 0 instead. It would still be wrong though, and that is
the frustrating part here: it is not at all clear to me what the
algorithm should be on when to apply italic corrections in math mode.

Best wishes,
Taco