[luatex] accented characters in plain luatex

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue May 31 18:52:40 CEST 2011

On 2011-05-31 at 15:28:12 +0100, Robin Fairbairns wrote:

 > luigi scarso <luigi.scarso at gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 > > On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:58 PM, John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> wrote:
 > > > Those involved with non-English languages on a regular basis
 > > > will of course have other needs. For my current use the
 > > > traditional TeX notation is perfectly adequate. In my current
 > > > project there is only one accented word and I was able to add
 > > > accents through a Gvim mass change to that word:
 > > >
 > > > :%s/Mukipha/M\\'uki\\`pha/
 > > >
 > > > [...]
 > >
 > > If I remember correctly there is an Emacs TeX mode that permits to
 > > insert an accented character,
 > > and it uses a sort of TeX combination of \ and ' .
 >
 > i once used such, and it only produced iso latin 1 output; \'p isn't in
 > that character set afaik.  (there's probably one that produces utf-8,
 > now, i've not looked, but it's not relevant even though unicode
 > presumably _does_ have \'p.)

Recent versions of Emacs are using UTF-8 by default.  Older versions
used Latin-1 by default but if the buffer contained non-Latin-1
characters, you were asked you to select an other encoding for saving
the file.

What Luigi means is that Emacs supports different "input methods".
They are independent of Emacs modes.  There is one input method called
"TeX", which allows you to type characters not available on your
keyboard in TeX notation.

 > not relevant, because john's a committed vim user and is as
 > unlikely to switch to emacs as i am to switch to vim.

But John is using Linux.  I'm using Terminal instead of xterm and when
I click the right mouse button, a menu pops up which allows me to
select an input method.  This also works within vim.

 > personally, i think john's making life difficult for himself, but
 > that's up to him.  he seems not to care about copying text from his
 > final output; this would be reasonable if his ultimate output is
 > print; but if not, he's at least been warned of the issue.

If the document source is in UTF-8, I suppose that with LuaTeX and
OpenType fonts the whole encoding mess can be avoided, which makes
things easier, especially when using plain TeX.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25