[luatex] accented characters in plain luatex

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue May 31 18:29:25 CEST 2011

On Tuesday, May 31, 2011 10:28:12 am Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> luigi scarso <luigi.scarso at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:58 PM, John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com>
wrote:
> > > Those involved with non-English languages on a regular basis will of
> > > course have other needs. For my current use the traditional TeX
> > > notation is perfectly adequate. In my current project there is only
> > > one accented word
> > >
> > > and I was able to add accents through a Gvim mass change to that
word:
> > > :%s/Mukipha/M\\'uki\\`pha/
> > >
> > > [...]
> >
> > If I remember correctly there is an Emacs TeX mode that permits to
> > insert an accented character,
> > and it uses a sort of TeX combination of \ and ' .
>
> i once used such, and it only produced iso latin 1 output; \'p isn't in
> that character set afaik.  (there's probably one that produces utf-8,
> now, i've not looked, but it's not relevant even though unicode
> presumably _does_ have \'p.)
>
> not relevant, because john's a committed vim user and is as unlikely to
> switch to emacs as i am to switch to vim.
>
> personally, i think john's making life difficult for himself, but that's
> up to him.  he seems not to care about copying text from his final
> output; this would be reasonable if his ultimate output is print; but if
> not, he's at least been warned of the issue.
>
> robin
>
> (so tired i can hardly type my own name...)

Bed rest away from any electronic devices is prescribed.

Your points carefully noted. This discussion continues to be instructive.

Temperature here 89 F and headed to the 90's this afternoon. Hopefully it
is cooler elsewhere. I am in the late 70's headed to my 80's so I stay
inside near the air conditioner.

Thus far almost all my work has been in print or now and then in html. I
have one pdf book for sale on Booklocker.com, singing the praises of
Scribus for book cover design. I have not yet been dragged kicking and
screaming into the world of Kindle and Epub but that may come next. There
is money to be made there. But it will be difficult to dumb down TeX enough
to produce such outputs.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press