[luatex] Kerning: when does it not work?

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Tue May 3 14:57:04 CEST 2011

Am Tue, 03 May 2011 13:44:27 +0200 schrieb Paul Isambert:

>> Reading Paul's answer, I realize that the technical workings of
>> font kerns are more complex than I thought. From a layman's
>> perspective, though, fixing the issue of suppressed kerns on the
>> most fundamental level possible (if that is possible) and
>> offering a "transparent" solution to users would probably be
>> best: It would, therefore, be great if adjustments to pair
>> kerning made in OTF feature files (or by any other means) simply
>> worked "out of the box" and like expected for every instance of
>> the respective glyph pair.

> That should be the case when Taco implements it. So rejoice!

I'm not sure that this will solve all of Till's problems. After all
there must also exist a way to suppress kerning between two glyphs -
and if a macro inserts such a "kerning stopper" between glyphs I
don't see what the engine can do about it.

Regarding Till's concrete problems (\url and biblatex) I wouldn't
bet that they insert only penalties between the glyphs.

--
Ulrike Fischer