[luatex] Inconsistent results.

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed Mar 2 02:10:25 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 05:15:13PM -0500, John Culleton wrote:
> First I ran mkluatexfontdb with no error messages.
> Then I ran this test program using luatex:
> \input luaotfload.sty % works for plain despite the .sty

The file tries to be smart and detects being running under plain, the
.sty is to please latex and it is better than maintaining two separate
files.
Well, I don't actually believe any of what I said above, and I'd rather
have a luaotfload.tex that gets included by luaotfload.sty and simplify
the later, but it would break existing files for no good reason so I'm
not doing it.

> \font\pagella={name:TeX Gyre Pagella:script=latn;+onum} at 10pt
> \font\termes={file:texgyretermes-regular.otf:script=latn} at 10pt
> \font\foo={file:SyrCOMJerusalem.otf:script=latn} at 20bp
> \font\barr={file:georgia.ttf} at 30bp
> \pagella some text 12345\par
> \termes other text\par
> \foo my test font.
> \barr Georgia 978!
> \bye
> When I ran luatex on this file the first two fonts worked but the last
> two did not.

Can we be more specific about how they didn't work, any error messages?
may be it is the bp unit? (it is the first time I see it to be honest).

> Let's take georgia.ttf in more detail. The database file
> /home/safe/.texlive2010/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/names/otfl-
> names.lua
> shows:
> {
>    ["familyname"]="Georgia",
>    ["filename"]={ "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/georgia.ttf", false },
>    ["fontname"]="Georgia",
>    ["fullname"]="Georgia",
>    ["names"]={
>     ["family"]="Georgia",