[luatex] setting lccode "automatically"

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Thu Jun 23 11:46:47 CEST 2011

Another question regarding hyphenation (thanks Paul and Taco for the answer to the first one).

Hyphenation is only done when the lccode of each char is not 0. Now most languages have chars beyond a-z, such as Ä or é or Л. Now how do I set these lccodes?

Currently I do something like:

for i in string.utfvalues("äÄöÖüÜß") do
  tex.lccode[i] = i
end

but this has two disadvantages I can see:

1) I have to manually pick the foreign characters and set the lccode manually
2) What is the lowercase of I (LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I)? Is it i or ı (LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS I)?

I guess that I should use a unicode data table for the characters. But that is still not 100% correct for languages like Turkish and Azeri, right? Since the lccodes are not language-local, we cannot achieve a 100% correct solution, correct?

Patrick