[luatex] dump a tfm to a file

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Jun 20 19:52:06 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 20 jun. 2011, at 19:19, Patrick Gundlach <patrick at gundla.ch> wrote:

> Am 20.06.2011 um 18:21 schrieb Ulrike Fischer:
>

>> Do someone know if and how I could dump the "virtual" tfm of a font
>> like Arial or another system font to a file?
>
> ttf2tfm - build TeX metric files from a TrueType font

Yes. (or Generate Fonts ... in fontforge, generate a type1 font, and turn 'create tfm' on in the generation options.)

>> table or something like this but really a "normal" tfm file (apart
>> from the fact that it will contain more chars).
>
> I am pretty sure a tfm file can only hold 256 chars. So you need an encoding.

Yes, 256 is the maximum number of characters in a tfm. If you need other glyphs as well, you need to create multiple tfms. But I think ttf2tfm supports that without too much hassle. After all, ttf2tfm was written specifically to get usable truetype font support in pdftex.

Best wishes,
Taco