[luatex] i18n with LuaTeX

Dirk Laurie dpl at sun.ac.za
Mon Jul 11 14:31:29 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 01:57:11PM +0200, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> "In stock Lua, many things depend on the current locale. In LuaTEX, we can't
> do that, because it makes documents unportable. While LuaTEX is running if
> forces the following locale settings:
> LC_CTYPE=C
> LC_COLLATE=C
> LC_NUMERIC=C
> "

Lua is now in 5.2.0-beta-rc7, which means that 5.2.0 is imminent.
While nothing forces LuaTeX to be based on 5.2.0 rather than 5.1.4,
the diminished locale dependence may be a consideration.  In particular,
the following change is very significant:

    - Lua identifiers cannot use locale-dependent letters.

I realize this does not answer your question (which I did not quote)
but only Taco and the team can do that.

Dirk