[luatex] lua transliterations on the fly

Luis Rivera jlrn77 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 18:31:48 CET 2011

On 7 January 2011 04:38, Philipp Stephani <st_philipp at yahoo.de> wrote:

> There is nothing simple about loading OTF fonts; luaotfload contains more than 10000 lines of code.
> But what I mean with making the file robust is protection against catcode changes, using LaTeX if it's available, disabling loading the file twice, and so on.

OK. So it really seems that full portability among formats comes at a
cost. Thanks.

Having that in mind, I shall try to get a LaTeX package working before
trying to make it portable to Plain.

> languages have little to do with input any more once you use Unicode.

... save activating the right hyphenation patterns for a given
language which may share the same script with other languages (e.g.
the full range of languages using latin or cyrillic alphabets).

> polyglossia requires XeLaTeX, it doesn't work with plain LuaTeX or LuaLaTeX.

Roger that. I will write a note to Manuel Pegourie-Gonnard, since the
Guide to LuaLaTeX does not mention that.

> BTW, you should _not_ do something like replacing ^c by ĉ. If you want ĉ, type ĉ. Use a keyboard layout that contains that character, an input method, or some auto-correction function of your text editor, but don't transform text while processing. This is true no matter whether you write text files, HTML, TeX, or whatever. Babel-like shorthands are completely obsoleted by Unicode and cause more problems than they solve.

»don't transform text while processing« is a Best Practice principle;
I am aware I am exploring an awkward way to achieve the same effect.
My guess is that with a embedded Lua routine it is actually doable
with LuaTeX. It seems that I am not very wrong.

Cheers,

--
Luis Rivera
O< http://www.asciiribbon.org/ campaign