[luatex] The LuaTeXbook

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon Jan 3 01:27:23 CET 2011

Le 02/01/2011 22:51, site4000 at free.fr a écrit :
> Le 02/01/2011 21:18, Philipp Stephani a écrit :
>> 1. TeX: The TeXbook was written for users of plain TeX, or for those that want to understand every detail. For TeX programming knowledge, TeX by Topic is more than sufficient, and very well and succinctly written. Even in this book, you don't have to read every detail; for starting, the chapters 1–4, 6–8, 10–13, 32, 33, 36 should suffice.
>> 2. eTeX: The manual is not that long, and many sections can be skipped. I think the most important sections are 3.3, 3.5, 3.7, 3.12, 5.
>> 3. pdfTeX: Again, most parts of the manual are not totally relevant for programming. Sections 7.3, 7.4, 7.15, 7.16, 7.21 seem to be the most important at first sight.
>> 4. Lua: Lots of good material is available, most notably Roberto Ierusalimschy's book Programming in Lua and the Lua reference.
>> 5. XeTeX: should not be required, but the unofficial reference is sometimes a bit more detailed than the LuaTeX manual.
>> 6. After that, you should be able to read the LuaTeX manual without problems.
>
> -The program you propose is maybe a good way to learn deeply LuaTeX but
> you found this program because you have already read all the stuff about
> TeX and successors but what about newcommers ? They don't know what to
> read and they don't know what to read first.

That's what mailing list, newsgroups, faq, and search engines are for. Now they
can find Philipp's message in the archives and/or ask another experienced user
by whatever mean, and get a similar list.

> Moreover, the program you
> propose is rather personnal (you can read this, you can skip that) and
> it is not sure that it would be convenient for anyone.

For what it's worth, I fully agree with Philipp's list, so it's probably not
that personal.

Manuel.