[luatex] German hyphenation, fontspec and adjusted kerning

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Thu Feb 17 17:00:00 CET 2011

Am Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:43:35 +0100 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:

>> I tried the following example with context and could not reproduce
>> the problem, the space was between both fh. So there is some hope
>> that a solution exists.
>> But
>> - I don't know if the code is correct and actually loads german
>> hyphenation patterns (I think yes)
>> - My context is rather old as miktex doesn't update.
>>
>> \mainlanguage	[de]
>> \font\test={name:TeX Gyre Bonum:featurefile=bonum.fea;+kern}
>
> A context user would write this as:
>
> \definefontfeature[test][kern=yes,featurefile=bonum]
> \definefont[test][name:texgyrebonum*test]

OK.

> Ligature in certain words can be broken in the following way.

I don't think that the problem has something to do with ligatures.
The problem is that the context example

\mainlanguage	[de]
\definefontfeature[test][featurefile=bonum,kern=yes]
\definefont[test][name:texgyrebonum*test]
\starttext
\test fh aufhalten
\stoptext

gives the (wanted) result with kerning spaces between both "fh":

f h auf halten

While the similar latex example:

\documentclass{article}
\makeatletter\bbl at patterns{ngerman}\makeatother
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[FeatureFile=bonum.fea]{TeX Gyre Bonum}
\begin{document}
fh aufhalten
\end{document}

gives

f h aufhalten

But only if the (n)german hyphenation patters are loaded. So the
hyphenation point (auf-halten) is somehow supressing the insertion
of the kern. The question is why it works in context and if the
solution can be used in latex too.

--
Ulrike Fischer