[luatex] Problem with latin modern fonts

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sun Aug 28 19:47:56 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 07:34:25PM +0200, Philipp Stephani wrote:
> 2011/8/23 Heiko Oberdiek <heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com>:
> > * The latter composition "o+dieresis" is not replaced by the
> >  glyph "odieresis". In the documentation of LuaTeX I found:
> > | 2.3 UNICODE text support
> > | Normalization of the Unicode input can be handled by a macro package
> > | during callback processing (this will be explained in section 4.1.2).
> >
> >  This seems not be done by fontspec. Can this enabled/supported by fontspec
> >  or does another package exists for Unicode normalization?
>
> Such a package would have to include an extension module to wrap the
> ICU library (unless somebody wants to reinvent the wheel and implement
> the normalization algorithms in Lua).

I think ConTeXt already does (or parts of it). Normalisation is mostly
about data table, there is no much code that would justify depending on
a beast like ICU. IMO normalisation in context of luatex should be done
very close to the OpenType engine to allow making informed guesses about
what form would give the user best output which depends, to some extent,
on font features.

Regards,
 Khaled

--