[luatex] LuaTeX font sampler

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Tue Aug 9 15:34:02 CEST 2011

Hi,

Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> inspired by a recent discussion on tex.se I have written a small plain TeX font sample creator.
>
> http://wiki.luatex.org/index.php/Fontsampler
>
> It's a wiki, so please feel free to edit this!

Great, that's just what I wanted to ask for in some weeks … however, I
have a problem with that code. I let it run over my system font
directory which is quite large, and LuaTeX did not manage to typeset the
whole thing for over one hour. What I see is that LuaTeX eats memory
until that is full (about 850 MB of 1GB total), then uses about 650 MB
of 1GB of swap and then it just seems to swap all the time, telling from
the noise of my hard drive. “time luatex …” results in:

56.37s user 32.71s system 2% cpu 1:12:27.77 total

so the most time, my machine seems to be busy swapping. Is there any way
to reduce the memory cost?

cheers
Arno