[luatex] Attributes of font kerns.

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Sat Apr 2 16:16:34 CEST 2011

Hello all,

The manual (section 2.5.1) notes that some nodes inherit the attributes'
values of the surrounding nodes, and not the values in force when they
are created; for instance, ligatures have the values of their
components, even though ligature nodes are created well after their
components (in the "ligaturing" callback).

Other `asynchronous' nodes receive the current values; for instance,
font kern nodes added in the "kerning" callback do not inherit the
values of the surrounding nodes. However, the manual states (same
section) that `this area needs studying', and Manuel and I thought it
would be worth discussing here.

My contribution is that font kerns should behave like ligatures and
inherit the surrounding values; the resulting horizontal list would be
more homogenous that way, even though the only area where I can see it
make a difference is underlining and associates (using attributes to
determine what should be underlined).

Perhaps some of you have reasons for keeping the font kerns' values in
line with the current values?
[If you don't, I'll be forced to solemnly petition Taco with a feature
request.]

Best,
Paul