[luatex] combining files with pure LuaTeX

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Tue Sep 28 21:17:31 CEST 2010

On 09/27/2010 01:38 AM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 26 September 2010 Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>   >
>   >  It works fine with some images, but if the image is too small (as
>   >  http://www.ousia.tk/stamp.pdf) the resulting files are wrong
>   >  (http://www.ousia.tk/add-background.pdf).
>
> Yes, you have to create an A4 page containing the stamp at the
> desired position.  Actually, it's not limited to A4 but both files
> must have the same page size, otherwise you probably don't get what
> you expect.

Many thanks, Reinhard, for the new version of the add-background.tex file.

I'm afraid that the multi-page feature doesn't work for me (but it's
fine for me, since my main issue is different).

I'm new to LuaTeX and because of that I wasn't able to explain what I
needed from LuaTeX. I knew what I want to achieve, but I had no idea how
LuaTeX works. Now I'm beginning to learn it.

What I want to achieve is to add a image to every single page in a
document (excepting blank pages). Not every page needs the image in the
same position (no problem, I can generate a set of images for different
positions).

The issue is that I don't require this for a single PDF document, but
for about 150 PDF documents with multiple pages every week. Editing that
by hand on a document basis would be crazy. I need a script to set the
original background document, the output file and the position of the
image on each page of that document.

I guessed that LuaTeX could achieve this, because I thought that this
could be achieved with only one binary in Windows (no TeX distribution,
sorry) and in pure Lua code (sorry, now I know how tgis is called)
because of the scripting capabilities of LuaTeX.

My questions now are the following:

-Is it possible to run the standalone LuaTeX binary so that executes
pure Lua scripts with no need of format files or such?

-Is it possible to generate a new PDF document from am existing one with
imposed images in LuaTeX using only Lua code?

-The foreground PDF image contains the current date. Would possible to
generate the current date for the image within the Lua script having the
rest of the image already generated and before being imposed to the
background image?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo