[luatex] luainputenc and inputenc

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Sat Oct 16 14:37:57 CEST 2010

Am 16.10.2010 um 13:40 schrieb Frédéric:

> Hi,
>
> if I compile this code with pdflatex, utf8 isn't properly handled (if I change luainputenc to inputenc, it's ok) :
>
> \documentclass{article}
>
> \usepackage[utf8]{luainputenc}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{fourier}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> cépàbô
>
> \end{document}
>
> Is it normal ?

luainputenc is only for lualatex. If you want to compile with pdflatex, use inputenc instead. When compiling with lualatex, however, \usepackage[utf8]{luainputenc} is unnecessary because UTF-8 is already the default. If you want to be compatible with all three major engines, use a switch like the following:

\usepackage{iftex}
\ifPDFTeX
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\fi