[luatex] Hyphenation in plain TeX

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 16:12:55 CEST 2010

Hi Manuel.
** Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard [2010-10-08 15:54:09 +0200]:

> Le 08/10/2010 15:14, Vladimir Lomov a écrit :
>> Thanks. I looked at them. But could luatex use the same
>> unicode-letters.tex?
>
> Not directly, but with minor changes, yes.
>
> Actually, I prepared an adapted version, and baring objections or failing tests
> (by others), it will be in TL tomorrow, and loaded by default in luatex-based
> formats, which means (dvi)lua(la)tex.
I prepared something similar. I cat'ed the 'chr' files from
TEXMFDIST/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/txt
in one file sort it leave only uniqs then leave only latin based letters
and made a file with lccodes (as Mojca advised). Seems that all work
fine (with my example on German, French and Russian).
>> if could then this makes luatex to work with
>> accented letters as well as cyrillic (and other?).
>>
> I tested with the examples you send to lualatex-dev a while ago, and it works.
> At least, some hyphenation happens, and visual inspection shows no difference
> with xelatex's output.
>
> By the way:
> - sorry for not replying earlier to this message;
> - thanks for providing us with usable test files.
Sorry if this could take as impolite but could French speaking
(ideally whose for whom French is native) say me how correctly hyphenate
the word 'Médaille' (I taken example for French text from
fr.wikipedia.org from paper about Poincare, sorry I don't know how to
write his name correctly, and I use this word to check how luatex
hyphenate, \showhyphens{Médaille} gives me only one point for hyphenation).

>> Don't get the idea. As ordinary user (and wokring with more ordinary
>> users) I think that it is best if all would work (even if format file is
>> big).
>>
> The size of the format is not an issue IMO, and I agree that most things (if not
> everything) should work OOTB.
>
> The issue that delayed the solution to the lccode/hyphenation problem was that
> there are larger plans about making unicode character properties available from
> lua (as context does), discussion about the best way to use it, etc. The
> solution I commited is suboptimal in several ways, but I think (hope) it is Good
> Enough© for now.
>
> (We have a saying in French: "Un bon tiens vaut mieux que deux tu l'auras.")
And could I use this sentense in my luatex tests :)?

--
Blessed are they who Go Around in Circles, for they Shall be Known as Wheels.