[luatex] Hyphenation in plain TeX

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Oct 8 13:24:50 CEST 2010

>                                                       Actually, etex.src even
> makes that CS undefined after it used it. (I assume it saves some memory.)

  If you mean that it saves some space in the format, I think not.  As
far as I know, every macro definition is dumped into the hash table
(even if the macro is later overwritten), and control sequence names are
dumped in the string pool (even multiple times if there are several
successive definitions).  Which means that you can have unaccessible
macro definitions in the format file, as well as several definitions for
some macro, even if of course only the last one would be accessible
(and, in the case of \undefined, none would be).

  Not that all of this *really* matters, of course :-)

	Arthur