[luatex] Strange hyphenation

enrico.gregorio at univr.it enrico.gregorio at univr.it
Sun Oct 3 14:52:47 CEST 2010

Taco wrote:

> >> I just tried to run this with TL + 0.63, but I get a babel warning
> >> stating that there are no patterns for 'Italian'.
> >
> > Of course on my site the hyphenation patterns for Italian are
> > enabled.
> >
> > It's not a hyphenation pattern problem, since \showhyphens
> > shows the correct hyphenation. But when the paragraph is
> > being typeset, the word is not split. It is if I explicitly add a
> > hyphenation exception. This is quite strange, isn't it?
>
> It is certainly strange. But what I meant with my post was: if
> you cannot explain to me how to enable 'Italian', I will not be
> able to reproduce the bug, and therefore will not be able to
> investigate it at all.

My fmtutil.cnf says

lualatex luatex language.dat,language.dat.lua lualatex.ini

My language.dat has

% from hyphen-italian:
italian loadhyph-it.tex

while language.dat.lua has

-- from hyphen-italian:
  ['italian'] = {
    loader = 'loadhyph-it.tex',
    lefthyphenmin = 2,
    righthyphenmin = 2,
    synonyms = {  },
    patterns = 'hyph-it.pat.txt',
    hyphenation = 'hyph-it.hyp.txt',
  },

On TeX Live all known languages are always enabled by default. It's probably sufficient
to uncomment the relevant line in "language.dat" and say

tlmgr generate language.dat.lua

since lualatex doesn't dump hyphenation patterns in the format, AFAIK.

Ciao
Enrico
--
Enrico Gregorio          + Dipartimento di Informatica          + Tel: +39 045 8027937
Enrico.Gregorio at univr.it + Università degli Studi di Verona     +