[luatex] fontspec prevents hyphenation

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Tue Nov 23 21:24:24 CET 2010

Am Tue, 23 Nov 2010 21:08:38 +0100 schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:

>>> You could just as well use "german" instead (I wasn't paying
>>> attention), but do you want to say that "ngerman" works in lualatex,
>>> but not in plain luatex? Since that would be weird.
>>
>> Well I never cared for hyphenation in plain. But now I looked: plain
>> inputs a hyphen.tex. This hyphen.tex contains some pattern and
>> that's all. Language.dat is not used and there is also no
>> luatex-adapted version of hyphen.tex. So luatex and etex both
>> complain for every language:
>>
>> ! e-TeX error: language german undefined..
>> \et at xmsg ...lines =0 \errmessage {e-TeX error: #2}
>>
> This may be dependant on the distribution, but in TeX Live, Plain-based formats
> for any engine but TeX82 all are based on etex.src, which expands on plain.tex
> and in particular, overrides its loading of hyphenation patterns and implements
> an extended scheme for language loading and switching, using language.def.

I overlooked the call to language.def. But I found the source of the
problem: There is a default language.def in the main texmf-tree in
tex/plain and the generated language.def with the language entries
is in tex/generic and so was never found. I will make a bug report.
Where is language.def in TeXLive? tex/plain or tex/generic?

--
Ulrike Fischer