[luatex] fontspec prevents hyphenation

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 18:43:55 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 16:08, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> I can't test this as ngerman is unknown to plain luatex (and I have
> no idea how to enable it).

You could just as well use "german" instead (I wasn't paying
attention), but do you want to say that "ngerman" works in lualatex,
but not in plain luatex? Since that would be weird.

Also, I didn't manage to reproduce the behaviour in plain luatex
earlier, but I think that I understand now why this was the case.

> I also looped through quite a lot "end chars". As far as I can say
> only chars in the range up to position 255 are problematic.

Thanks a lot. This rings a bell. I was trying hard to find the
original email (probably discussed by me, Jonathan Kew and others,
probably on xetex mailing list, but maybe privately), but without any
success. Anyhow ... does the following code from xelatex.ini ring a
bell to anyone else?

It sounds like a bit more work to do for Manuel :)

% Because latex.ltx sets up character code tables for T1 encoding by default,
% we need to reset values from unicode-letters that may have been overridden
\begingroup
\catcode`\@=11 \count@=128 % reset chars "80-"FF to category "other",
no case mapping
\loop \ifnum\count@<256
  \global\uccode\count@=0 \global\lccode\count@=0
  \global\catcode\count@=12 \global\sfcode\count@=1000
  \advance\count@ by 1 \repeat
\def\C #1 #2 #3 {\global\uccode"#1="#2 \global\lccode"#1="#3 } % case
mappings (non-letter)
\def\L #1 #2 #3 {\global\catcode"#1=11 % category: letter
  \C #1 #2 #3 % with case mappings
  \ifnum"#1="#3 \else \global\sfcode"#1=999 \fi % uppercase letters
have sfcode=999
  \global\XeTeXmathcode"#1="7"01"#1 % BMP letters default to class 7
(var), fam 1
  }
\def\l #1 {\L #1 #1 #1 } % letter without case mappings
\l 00AA
\L 00B5 039C 00B5
\l 00BA
\L 00C0 00C0 00E0