[luatex] For those interested in Quranic Font (Neirizi Font)

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي
Tue May 11 06:06:47 CEST 2010

On Mon, 10 May 2010 21:27:17 -0600, Vafa Khalighi <vafakh84 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> When I sent this email, I just was trying to announce this news and
> nothing else but unfortunately Idris and Khaled were trying their best
> to insult.

You can't possibly be serious, where did I even remotely insult anyone?!?

The announcement is more than welcome, and _any_
news of new Arabic-script fonts is wonderful. However,

Constructive criticism =! Putting down other's efforts.

A critical assessment of the quality of the font by interested
users/experts is very important before luatex users start using it and
complaining that this and that don't work; and before time is wasted
looking for luatex/mkiv/other-ot-implementation bugs when the bug is
probably-to-certainly in the font.

The fact is that this Neirizi font should never have been released in this
state. If it were open source and the VOLT sources were released so
users/experts could fix it, that would be another matter. Being Arab,
Persian, Muslim, Atheist, White, Black has ZERO to do with it!

Finally: I was just in Iran recently and spent a LOT of time with
researchers and scholars there, including extensive discussion of
Arabic-script typesetting. They appeared much more open to criticism than
you give credit for.

As for copyrights, this is a problem throughout the Middle East. While in
Tehran, some software developers complained to me that other Iranian
software developers had ripped them off, and I can testify to the truth of
that based on my independent investigation. And many wonderful software
products made in Iran are ripped off in the Arab world as a matter of
course.

Baba jaan: you have got to stop flying off the handle and starting
religious/nationalist wars every time you imagine that someone is
insulting Persian sensibilities, when NOTHING could be further from the
truth.

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies