[luatex] [luaotfload & fontspec] trunk errors

Diederick C. Niehorster dcnieho at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 05:12:38 CEST 2010

Hi Taco,

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:
> Diederick C. Niehorster wrote:
>>
>> otf-names.lua file in there. Now it works beautifully, my fonts are
>> found (lualatex ate up almost 960 MB during the run btw :P).
>
> This is excessive (unless you are loading lots of CJK fonts), but it is
> not so easy to see why it happens without your input file.

I've managed to get it up to 1270 MB in the last run now. A little
testing revealed that it really depends on the font indeed. When I run
with Arno Pro, an OpenType font containing roman, greek and cyrillic
in a wide variety of glyphs (sc, swash, etc) spread over 32 OpenType
fonts, I see such memory eating.

When I however use the Latin Modern opentype fonts or Tex Gyre Heros,
memory usage stays below 200 MB. Input file attached, ran with
lualatex. You'll need the new fontspec to run this correctly, see
http://github.com/wspr/fontspec. You can run with latin modern by
commenting out lines 15--17. Uncomment any of the lines to try those
different fonts.

This leads me to another point, for Khaled I guess. When I try to
compile with Futura Std (or Adobe Caslon Pro / Adobe Garamond Pro for
that matter), I get errors in fontspec (I think). last part of the log
so you can see how far it gets (with XeTeX it compiles fine):

-----
Defining \msg_text > fontspec/set-scale:xxxx on line 1844
Defining \msg_text > fontspec/setup-math:xxxx on line 1848

fontspec.cfg loaded.
(./fontspec.cfg))
! LuaTeX error ...9/texmf-dist/tex/luatex/luaotfload/otfl-font-nms.lua:85: atte
mpt to compare nil with number.
<to be read again>
                   \let
l.17 ...ing=tex-text,Ligatures=Common]{Futura Std}
-----

Best,
Dee