[luatex] problem with slnunicode's find

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Tue Mar 2 14:01:50 CET 2010

Am 02.03.2010 07:49, schrieb Taco Hoekwater:

> Luatex itself has an internal UTF-8 counting function. At some point
> (don't know when but before 1.0) the internal Unicode library will
> replace slnunicode, and I will make sure that it exports a counter as
> well.

Good to know.  For the time being this paragraph from the LuaTeX manual

> Note: The string library functions find etc. are not Unicode-aware.
> In cases where this is required (i. e. because the pattern used for
> searching contains characters above code point 127), the
> corresponding functions from unicode.utf8 should be used.

is a bit misleading, since just unicode.utf8.find is again not
Unicode-aware.  The same applies for the empty capture () in match and
gmatch, BTW.  The output of

   str = "abcde"
   print(unicode.utf8.match(str, "()e"))
   str = "Äabcde"
   print(unicode.utf8.match(str, "()e"))

is 5 and 7.  The second one is obviously wrong.

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig