[luatex] unicode-math for XeLaTeX & LuaLaTeX

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 07:56:21 CEST 2010

Dear all,

In case you haven't seen already via other sources, I've just uploaded
the first release of unicode-math to CTAN (see below). Originally
written to support XeLaTeX, it has tentative support for LuaLaTeX as
well -- the example file compiles, at least, but the nooks and crannies
of the package remain unexplored.

If you have a bleeding edge TeX Live 2010 or are happy to install
packages by hand, any feedback -- and even better, bug fixes :) -- for
LuaLaTeX support are warmly encouraged.

Long term development of the package is planned to involve
collaborating with the ConTeXt maths support so that we're all working
from a common database of unicode math symbols and what to call them.
But Aditya and I haven't spent much time on that yet. (That's why it's
"long term" :))

Best regards,
Will

From: CTAN Announcements <ctan-ann at dante.de>
Subject: New on CTAN: unicode-math

the daemon perks up with the appearance of the following (which he had
previously imagined to be a myth concocted by people on the net):

The following information was provided by the package's contributor.

Name of contribution: unicode-math
Author's name: Will Robertson
Location on CTAN: macros/latex/contrib/unicode-math
Summary description: Unicode math support for XeTeX and LuaTeX
License type: lppl

Announcement text given by the package's contributor:
> Well, I guess it's now or never. With an archive of emails about the
> thing going back to 2006, I think it's finally time to release this
> package. (Sorry about the hold-up, really.)
>
> This is the initial release of the unicode-math package for inclusion
> in TeX Live 2010. It is designed to typeset mathematics with unicode
> input and using OpenType math fonts. (There is very very little
> compatibility with older maths packages.) XeTeX support is fully
> tested but LuaTeX not quite so much. (At least the example file
> runs...)
>
> You can typeset with the STIX fonts with the present version of the
> package, but there is no support yet for its extra alphabets in the
> Unicode `private use area'. I hope to add support for them soon.
>
> Thanks to all the people who've provided valuable feedback over the
> years, and especially to Barbara Beeton for laying the foundations
> with her work with the STIX fonts.
>
> Good luck; I hope it works. Let me know if it doesn't. Finally, this
> package is by no means complete (it's called the "initial release" for
> a reason). Your feedback and suggestions now are greatly
> appreciated. Anyone coming along to the TUG 2010 conference will have
> the opportunity to hear me speak about it in a couple of weeks. (But
> will I be able to muster up a full 30 minutes? Actually, yeah, I
> probably will.)
>
> Time for a beer.

have a good one!

i have installed the package and created an entry in the catalogue
repository.

Users may view the package catalogue entry at
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/unicode-math.html
or they may browse the package directory at
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/unicode-math

though, of course, the catalogue entry won't appear on the web until
some time tonight.

Robin Fairbairns

For the CTAN team

-- Will