[luatex] LuaTeX file almost 2.5x bigger

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat Jul 31 17:58:24 CEST 2010

Hi Robert,

On 07/31/2010 05:34 PM, Robert wrote:

>> - Protrusion was seen as a bug.
>
> Then it was probably overdone (eg., hyphens protruding by their full
> width).

Yeah, I agree with you on that. In fact, if protrusion is done somewhat
subtly, I really do see the paragraph as looking 'better'.

>> What was striking is that the fact that one uses an advanced engine like
>> tex does not mean that the user is capable of seeing the difference. If
>> someone shows me two versions of a document probably I cannot say with
>> 100% certainty which one has used hz.
>
> Which is what microtypography is all about: improving the visual
> appearance *without being noticeable*.

The thing is: the profound level of unnoticeable that came out of the
statistical tests for font expansion nullifies the 'improving the
visual appearance' goal. Wholly unnoticed improvements are not
actually improvements at all.

Best wishes,
Taco