[luatex] LuaTeX file almost 2.5x bigger

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Thu Jul 29 08:20:17 CEST 2010

On 07/29/2010 04:21 AM, Robert wrote:
> On 25.07.10 20:21, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>> I'm not familiar with microtype. Thanks to a post from Ulrike Fischer,
>> my settings are:
>>
>> \pdfprotrudechars2\pdfadjustspacing2
>> \defaultfontfeatures{RawFeature={protrusion=default;
>> expansion=default;},Mapping=tex-text,Scale=MatchLowercase}
>
> The "default" expansion settings (which are defined in
> luaotfload/otfl-font-dum.lua) specify different expansion factors for
> different glyphs (so-called selected expansion). Apart from the fact
> that this is the reason why your pdf is blown up, it is not recommended
> (at least not by Han The Thanh) from a typographical point of view. So,
> to have all glyphs expanded by the same amount, you can use the
> following settings instead:
>
> \pdfprotrudechars2
> \pdfadjustspacing2
> \directlua{
> fonts.expansion.setups['nonselected'] =
> { stretch = 2, shrink = 2, step = .1, factor = 1 } }
> \defaultfontfeatures{RawFeature={protrusion=default;
> expansion=nonselected;}, Mapping=tex-text, Scale=MatchLowercase}

Many thanks for your help, Robert.

I'm afraid I get the following error with your code above:

! LuaTeX error <\directlua >:1: attempt to index field 'expansion' (a
nil value
)
stack traceback:
	<\directlua >:1: in main chunk.
l.9 ... = 2, shrink = 2, step = .1, factor = 1 } }

What am I doing wrong? (I'm afraid it is all Greek to me ;-).)

Thanks again,

Pablo