[luatex] LuaTeX and LuaLaTeX logos

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 25 01:01:43 CET 2010

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

> I don't think it's worthwhile to invest any time into such stupid
> logos.  \TeX is not very problematic, but \LaTeX is a pain if typeset
> with anything else but Computer Modern.
>
> LuaTeX combines Lua and TeX, Lua has its own logo and it's wrong to
> create a new one.  Thus, the only reasonable solution is:
>
>  \def\LuaTeX{Lua\TeX}
>  \def\LuaLaTeX{Lua\LaTeX}
>
> Fine-tuning the logos dosn't make any sense at all unless they all
> depend on a particular font.
>
> I also think that Knuth introduced a few bad habits.  Using a logo in
> continuous text is pure nonsense.  Suppose you are writing a book about
> Lua.  Would you replace every occurrence of the word "Lua" by the Lua
> logo?

which is why i just don't -- i usually don't even bother with silly
capitalisation except in the faq.

> What bothers me all the time is that every book about TeX/LaTeX wastes
> a whole page in order to explain how to pronounce the word "TeX" properly.
> A single sentence would suffice: "Knuth pronounces it 'Tek'".

not quite.  and i believe those of us with a penchant for this sort of
thing should be allowed to discuss the nuances of how various people
pronounce the word.  (i sometimes wonder if i would have got on better
in the world if i had stayed with linguistics, my first job having been
as a programmer in that area.)

> Sorry, I regard TeX as a program, not as a religion.

there are probably those who would consider that heresy.  ;-)

robin