[luatex] pdfpages and lualatex?

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Thu Dec 16 20:57:25 CET 2010

Le 16/12/2010 20:41, Hartmut Henkel a écrit :
> Btw., what may happen when a Page has its Resources dict, but also some
> Pages dict above contains Resources? Would they be merged somehow by the
> viewer? To try it out, i produced a PDF file, copying some Font
> resources from the Page resources dict over to the top Pages resources
> dict by \pdfpagesattr{}, and removed the font reference from the Page
> resources dict by hand-editing the resulting PDF. The font resource
> moved up is not found then (tried with xpdf)! But it's found when the
> Page resources dict is removed. So it seems that there is no recursive
> Resources search for a specific resource appearing in a page stream.
> Instead just the 1st found Resources dict (typically the one in the Page
> dict) is used, but all above are ignored.

The PDF reference indeed states that an attribute (as they call it) is
inherited if it is omitted in a Page object, but not that if it exists
with missing entries those will be inherited. Which is fine for most
attributes, but the Resources contain so many things that it'd be nice
indeed if you could specify, say, Font in Pages and XObject in Page.
Anyway one can still devise a PDF reader that wouldn't abide by the PDF
reference and would instead perform merging of Resources... Kind of show
Adobe who's the boss when they make stupid decisions :)

[Perhaps it's not so stupid though. I don't know if the gain in PDF size
would counterbalance the increased complexity of the reader. I'm totally
incompetent here.]

Best,
Paul