[luatex] lualatex not setting filename as jobname when using \input in command line

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Aug 11 19:39:21 CEST 2010

Le 11/08/2010 18:00, Taco Hoekwater a écrit :
> On 08/11/2010 05:22 PM, Simon Peter Nicholls wrote:
>> Is there a known issue where lualatex fails to set the jobname as the
>> filename when "\input" is specified on the command line?
>
> That problem does not happen for me with an older lualatex.ini,
> but it does happen with the one from texlive (the newest I have).
>
> But I do not know how this is possible (yet).

I'm afraid I do. The new lualatex.ini tries to fix an issue with \jobname
containing spaces, checking \jobname (and possibly redefining it) at \everyjob time.

Apparently, looking at the value of \jobname forces luatex to set \jobname
immediately while it would normally wait for the first \input to do so.
I'm really really sorry for forgetting to test this case.

For reference, the problem I was trying to address in luatexquotejobname.tex is
the following:

1. The latex kernel, as well as 3rd-party packages (and most probably personal
macros too) do \input\jobname.ext at some points. It fails horribly when
\jobname contains a space.
2. The cleanest solution would probably involve fixing those macros to use
\input "\jobname.ext" but it doesn't sound very realistic.
3. pdftex (web2c) provides a workaround by automagically quoting \jobname.
3a. LuaTeX doesn't do so, as already discussed in [1], and for good reasons IMO.
3b. Even if the solution from point 2 was realistic, it would be even more
complicated to implement it while remaining compatible with pdftex.
3c. So the only solution seemed to be mimicking pdftex's automagic quoting using
macros, but it is clearly a failure.

[1] http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/dev-luatex/2009-April/002549.html

Manuel.