[luatex] LuaTeX file almost 2.5x bigger

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Mon Aug 9 14:12:30 CEST 2010

Selon Paul Isambert <zappathustra at free.fr>:

> In the non-expanded text, InDesign produces 12 bad boxes, pdfTeX 1, and
> LuaTeX
> 10... I understand the difference between InDesign and LuaTeX (TeX may avoid
> several undefull boxes with one overfull one, so actually there's no real
> difference), but I don't understand the difference between LuaTeX and pdfTeX.
> know difference in justification are supposed to occur, but is it normal to
> this
> extent?

And: both LuaTeX and pdfTeX produce the same first line for the third paragraph
(broken after "undeterred"), but it is bad in LuaTeX only (0.283284pt too
large). Then, if I do:

\hbox to6cm{And still the hushing plaint, undeterred}

(where 6cm is the original \hsize minus \parindent) both pdfTeX and LuaTeX
reports an overfull box, 0.28386pt too large.

Finally, pdfTeX producing dvi behaves like LuaTeX. (Difference in font?)

So: why such a difference between LuaTeX and pdfTeX -- and why such a difference
between the paragraph builder and an explicit box?

I'm loosing my Latin, we say in French. I guess InDesign must be messing with my
neurons, because there must be an extremely simple explanation.

Best,
Paul