[luatex] LuaTeX file almost 2.5x bigger

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Aug 5 10:07:16 CEST 2010

On Do, 05 Aug 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:
> I was sutpised to see that it was done on an apple using msword 3.01 as
> it looked quite ok (including the math). Discusses interesting research
> on grayness of paragraphs (what hz is all about).

I think most people agree that it *is* possible to produce decent
things with word, but the default way of using it do not coincide with
a successful usage of Word, because Word has less typographic feature
built in.

Concerning math I haven't seen the article you cited, but I wrote
stuff with word some years ago, and since I am mathematician I use
a lot of mathematics, and what word produces (produced? new layout engine
I haven't tested) was a PITA, honestly.

> I must admit that I seldom has overfull boxes (maybe lucky with
> settings), sometimes long inline verbatim gets tricky (thinking of it

Maybe not enough math ;-) Inline math formulas have the tendency to
create these overful boxes. It needs line by line tweaking and rewording
of sentences to get rid of them.

>> This is a nice idea (as long as you're not interested in grid typesetting). Although with 40 lines per page, say, you'd need to stretch by a bit more than 2.5%, which seems a little high. Perhaps you'd stretch by 1% in combination with reducing the interline space to achieve the rest.

Grid typesetting is anyway a bit a problem. Anyone heard what has happened
with the macros/adaptions that Kaveh did? Some years ago there was a talk
at one of the bachoTeXs on grid typesetting by Kaveh,... I am still
waiting for him to upload the stuff to CTAN ;-)

Best wishes

Norbert