[luatex] fontspec prevents German hyphenation

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon Aug 2 12:01:24 CEST 2010

Hi,

I think there are two different problems here:

1. Why, with the example of Pablo, are the results different between the last
two lines (\getext and \geit): \geit seems to suppress all hyphenation?

2. Why is Andenken hyphenated as An-denken while pdflatex gives the correct
hyphenation An-den-ken?

Concerning problem 1, I think it has something to do with the timing of font
changing. I propose the following, modified example:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\begin{document} \emph{} % just preload italic font
\showhyphens{document (document)}
\showhyphens{\emph{document} (\emph{document})}
\end{document}

The result is:

[][] \EU2/lmr/m/n/10 doc-u-ment (doc-u-ment)

[][] \EU2/lmr/m/it/10 doc-u-ment \EU2/lmr/m/n/10 (\EU2/lmr/m/it/10 document\EU2
/lmr/m/n/10 )

Notice the missing hyphenation when the font is changed inside the brackets.
Now, commenting out fontspec in the previous example gives:

[][] \OT1/cmr/m/n/10 doc-u-ment (doc-u-ment)

[][] \OT1/cmr/m/it/10 doc-u-ment \OT1/cmr/m/n/10 (\OT1/cmr/m/it/10 doc-u-ment\O
T1/cmr/m/n/10 )

So, clearly fontspec (or most probably luaotfload) has something to do with this
problem. Maybe it introduces some new nodes or whatever. Khaled, any idea?

Le 02/08/2010 02:04, Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :
> Please note that LuaTeX doesn't have hyphenation patterns except those
> for English in the format file anymore.  Please check your log file.

The patterns are loaded at run time, we wouldn't (purposefully) introduce such a
regression as breaking all non-English languages. Check your log file ;-)

luatex-hyphen: loading patterns and exceptions for: german (\language26))
luatex-hyphen: loading patterns and exceptions for: spanish (\language65)))

> So probably you are using English patterns.

I don't think so. English patterns give:

doc-u-mento Umwel-ter-leb-nis An-denken

while the patterns loaded by Pablo's original example give:

do-cu-men-to Um-welt-er-leb-nis An-denken

I know there are many versions of the German patterns around, I'll check if this
can explain the difference.

Manuel.