[luatex] stretch_order

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Mon Aug 2 11:28:47 CEST 2010

Am 02.08.2010 um 11:24 schrieb Arthur Reutenauer:

>> The stretch/shrink_order fields of a glue_spec, and the glue_order field of a
>> box, return a number between 0 and 4, as follows: an finite amount is 0, and
>> fil, fill and filll are 2, 3 and 4 respectively. What would 1 represent, then?
>
>  fi, obviously.  This was introduced in Omega, I believe.

Yes:

"A new infinity level fi has been added. It is smaller than fil but bigger than any finite quantity. Its original intention was for inter-letter stretching: either filling-in-the-black, as is done for calligraphic scripts such as Arabic; or for emphasis, as in Russian; all this without having to rewrite existing macro packages. There is therefore a new keyword, fi, and two new primitives, \hfi and \vfi."

from http://www.pik-potsdam.de/~kropp/TDOCS/omega/base/omega-manual.pdf

Patrick