[luatex] \predisplaydirection from etex in luatex has no effect

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Apr 18 08:37:35 CEST 2010

Vafa Khalighi wrote:
>> It follows (if I understand everything correctly) that luatex itself
>> should *not* initialize \predisplaydirection based on the current
>> directions, but just set it to zero. Then, when it comes time to place
>> an equation number, it should base itself on \mathdir, but swap the
>> left&right if \pdfdisplaydirection=-1 (as set by the user).
>>

> Yes (I think). But that is just my view. Hopefully others like Khaled or
> Idris can contribute to this and say what they think as the correct one.

As it looks like we won't reach any simple conclusion soon, I have moved
the target for this bug tracker resolution to 0.70.0. It appears there
is no way to fix \predisplaydirection quickly and to everybody's liking
without ending up in a tricky backward compatibility problem and that,
I don't want to do in the stable release branch,  sorry.

We will sort out all this direction stuff in version 0.70.0.

Best wishes,
Taco