[luatex] Direction of hbox inside math

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Apr 13 10:12:15 CEST 2010

Hi,

Khaled Hosny wrote:
>> However, I think this is not clean, I believe a clean way for latex's tabular
>> is to have a primitive \halignR, such that it makes tabular RTL, if Taco wants,
>> I even can send a source code where he can actually extract the implementation
>> of \halignR from the source code.
>
> ConTeXt can do tables with no resorting to math mode and it works very
> well for Arabic, so it is a matter of stupid LaTeX choice than lack of
> proper primitives.

Right, so let's forget about latex's tabular in the rest of the
discussion. Patching the executable for this reason is even worse
than having to patch the latex source code.

IMHO (and bear in mind that I do not know anything about arabic math
typesetting) I think Khaled is right: it would make considerably
more sense for all \hboxes to always use the current \textdir unless
instructed otherwise. \hboxes in vertical mode currently inherit
\bodydir, which I think is even weirder perhaps.

Best wishes,
Taco