[luatex] Hyphenchar

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Sep 29 15:41:02 CEST 2009

Hi,

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>>  As a matter of principle, you're right, the correct Unicode character is
>> U+2010 HYPHEN, but it's very poorly supported in actual fonts even if
>> that
>> would be trivial, so it makes sense to use the formally ambiguous
>> HYPHEN-MINUS
>> instead.  At least until HYPHEN is supported more widely.
>
> OK, then for my applications I map the glyph from codepoint x2010 to x2d.

To answer the original question: the character that luatex inserts is
configurable (per language, just like \hyphenation and \patterns) via
the primitive \prehyphenchar, which just happens to default to `\- for
backward compatibility (see section 6.4 in the manual for the details).

Best wishes,
Taco